I simply adore this woman… SHAWN COSETTE of Beehive Events. She is lovely, kind, and effortlessly talented in a way unlike anyone else around. Her event and decor company, BEEHIVE EVENTS, took my wildest wedding dreams and made them reality with her deep collection of decor items, furniture, fabric, florals, vessels, objects… She saw into my thoughts and just made them come alive even more beautifully than I thought. And she’s much more than weddings. Think BEEHIVE EVENTS for any soiree, large or small…
GET TO KNOW SHAWN:
1. A favorite indulgence: Going to the nursery and filling up the back of my van with lots of plants. The ride home is so joyous thinking about the possibilities.
2. An unmissable element of a perfect day: Sunshine and a good laugh.
3. A memorable food experience: As a child on a summer road trip with my family, driving through Texas before we had a car with AC. Wow that state was flat and man was it hot!!! Even sticking our heads out the window didn’t help. Finally we saw a sign WATERMELON, without much pleading on our part, my dad pulled over to the side of the road and there we sat on the car’s bumper eating the biggest, sweetest, juiciest slices of watermelon EVER. YUM – it never tasted so good!!!
4. The greatest surprise of your life: OK I can’t think of anything, dang?
5. The best gift you’ve ever received: I guess I would have to say the gift of my husband’s continued love, acceptance and support. Geeze – is he ever patient, it can’t always be easy. His love is my home.
6. The best advice you’ve ever received: Figure out what your bottom line is and make a deal with yourself to never cross it. The rest is all negotiable.
7. Biggest annoyance: Walking into a public establishment and not be greeted
8. Your daily uniform: White T-shirt and jeans
9. A goal outstanding: Learn to take awesome images of my work – One of these days I want to learn how to really use a camera.
10. A splurge that is well worth it: When on Vacation, I like to splurge and get the nicest hotel room or vacation rental I can afford. I love waking up in beauty especially when on vacation and trying to recharge my creative energy
11. The Alps or The Maldives: Maldives, especially if there is a gentle breeze
12. A must-have travel item: iPad, its light and takes the place of travel guides, reading books, computer…. You can even make the font large so that you can leave your reading glasses behind.
13. A Charlottesville hidden gem: Monticello Trail – Its not that hidden I know but I just love walking that trail and appreciate the care that goes into maintaining it. I never tire of looking at the trees and so appreciate the name tags. I also am blown away by the workmanship that went into building the wooden bridges. I saw a scarlet Tangier not so long ago. I also love how so many people from the community use it.
14. If you didn’t have to work today, you would: I would bike the Piney River Trail in Nelson County. I have had it written down on a yellow post it note attached to the bottom of my computer – there it has been for 2 years, the ink fading and almost every day I say “I gotta do that”
15. Apart from the obvious, an essential work tool: “Patience Under Pressure”
16. The work experience you are most proud of: On the occasions when my work moves someone to tears of joy and/or nostalgia. The first time it happened I was in my early 20s. I had brought an arrangement of gorgeous lilacs to my friend who was in the hospital after just giving birth to her second son. The nurse walked into the room and immediately responded to the dreamy lilac perfume, it transported her back to her childhood in the Midwest and to her mom’s beautiful lilac bushes. She gently wept and shared her story. It was the first time that I saw how the beauty of flowers and nature can move people to tears and that somehow I was part of it and proud.
17. An important source of inspiration: Nature and Good Architecture
18. Success is: Waking up in the morning and having love in your heart, feeling content and safe.
19. A song that instantly puts you in a good mood: John Hyatt, I think its called Drive South. I love the line “Come on baby drive south with the one you love…….” Many years ago when David and I were courting and living in California, we use to love to sing this song together as loud as we could, for some reason it made us giggle and happy. This was long before we even thought of moving to Virginia
20. How did you make your first dollar? In 1977 in Santa Monica California, frozen yogurt just arrived on the scene and was it was all the rage. I would ride my bike to a frozen yogurt warehouse and purchase at wholesale as many Styrofoam cups that I could fill with peach and strawberry frozen yogurts that that would fit into my cooler with a bit of dry ice. I strapped the cooler onto the back of my bike and off I went to Santa Monica Beach. I walked the beach selling the yogurt to the sun loving happy beach goers – “frozen yogurt 75 cents” On a nice day it would take but a few hours to sell out and then I would have the rest of the day to spend having fun.
TELL THEM SCOUT SENT YOU.