1) Daffodils are the flower of the March. Look for them starting to peak out underfoot. For spring floral arrangements, we go straight to the pros at TOURTERELLE FLORAL DESIGN.
2) Kelly Green is our favorite shade for the month of St. Patrick’s Day. How beautiful did (now Oscar winner) Lupita Nyong’o look in Christian Dior at the BAFTAS?!
3) Going stir crazy? Yup, us too. Thank goodness it’s almost time for Spring Break! I can’t get away for a whole week, but will be heading south for a long Weekend Getaway of much needed sunshine. Picked up some CP Shades, Dosa, and Roberta Roller Rabbit tunics at ELOISE for the trip.
4) Maybe not today, but hopefully the weekend will bring warmer temps to melt the snow and allow us to dry out our winter boots and slip into our Favorite Flats. Mine are the Vince Mia style available in a couple of colors at SCARPA.
5) Major fashion trend spotted at the Oscars: the Statement Necklace. Since jeans are more my style than glam gowns, I wear mine with a crisp white blouse unbuttoned enough to show off the details. Local jewelry designer ANA CAVALHEIRO has a gorgeous collection of statement pieces at her downtown studio, or you can work with her to design your own creation. Other gorgeous options at SCARPA (Deepa Gurnani, Nocturne), ROXIE DAISY (local designers in their mix), and ELOISE (The Woods Fine Jewelry)
6) Your garden isn’t ripe for the pickings, so there’s always Preserves. I have started baking fresh bread every Sunday, and love smothering it in butter and preserves.
Easiest Crusty Bread:
3 cups unbleached flour
1 pack dry yeast
1-2 tsp salt
1.5 cups water
Mix it all together (no need to kneed)
Cover and let it sit 8 hrs+ or overnight, with a hole poked in the plastic wrap
Roll dough in flour into a big ball and cut a pretty pattern on top
Bake in 450 degree oven for 30 mins in covered cast iron pot
Take top off and bake for another 15 mins
Mark your calendar: April 15 “Preserving by the Pint”
Free class at THE HAPPY COOK with Marissa McClellan, author of Food In Jars and Preserving By The Pint.
Limited to 40 (20 seated and 20 standing.) Marissa will do a canning demo, talk from her two books, take all your canning questions, and sell and sign her books.
7) A couple of SCOUT’ers have recently done the organic JUICE LAUNDRY Cleanse – made locally! Give it a try if you just want to detox. There are several different detoxifying options. Don’t feel like detoxing? Me neither, but I still love their delicious cold pressed, organic juices and milks. (Remember, these are LOCAL!)
Favorite flavor: Creamy Cashew
TELL THEM SCOUT SENT YOU.