Youth is in a grand flush, like the hot days of ending summer; and pleasant dreams thrall your spirit, like the smoky atmosphere that bathes the landscape of an August day.
-Donald G. Mitchell
2. Some August days are just far too hot to be outdoors. Grab a great book – or new volume of TSG – and still get your Vitamin D and sun-fix in a SUN-DRENCHED CORNER of your home or favorite coffee shop (that front window at Mudhouse on the downtown mall or in Crozet is great). This stunning sun-room was created by TSG builder Bill Norton of ROCKPILE CONSTRUCTION. He’s also in the middle of turning TSG Co-Founder Christy Ford’s back terrace into a sun filled corridor, along with TSG Architect BETHANY PUOPOLO. We will be sure to share before and afters with you.
3. 1st DAY OF SCHOOL is right around the corner, can you believe it? WHIMSIES has a stellar selection of back-to-school clothing, shoes, accessory, bags, etc… many of which I wish were in my size! SHENANIGANS also has a fun assortment of school accessories and bags.
4. We have more cucumbers than we know what to do with, so my husband made really fantastic homemade pickles. Who knew HOMEGROWN PICKLING was so easy – deliciously fresh & crunchy. Try it! Here’s a great recipe from Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello: Crispy Pickled Green Beans with Mary Randolph’s Pepper Vinegar
5. When it gets particularly hot, we wear a lot of all-white. A great way to add something special – an exotic print in the form of a small bag. A more understated alternative to leopard and zebra, we love the giraffe-SPOTTED print on this new Jerome Dreyfuss bag. Find it at SCARPA.
6. HIT THE LINKS this National Golf Month. We are beyond excited about the new course at KESWICK!
7. August is National Peach Month. After picking peaches in our yard, we made homemade Peach Preserves and this divine PEACH CRISP. Please try it – it’s easy as pie (pun intended – it’s far easier than pie!) Recipe for the Crisp coming on the blog tomorrow. For a peach-picking excursion, we recommend Chiles Peach Orchard (do not miss the homemade peach ice cream; you will thank me!) and Henley’s Orchard. Both in Crozet/Greenwood.
TELL THEM SCOUT SENT YOU.